Thursday, January 31, 2008

Missing Circuits

I miss the Circuits section. I mean, I know it's still around, but I miss the full paper section that came with my Thursday NYT. I still read the paper (on paper, not online) although I end up reading it next to my computer half the time so I can Google products or people and find out all the juicy details. I am as superficial as the next person over getting a pedicure, but I positively loathe the section that replaced Circuits - Thursday Styles - although its "cyberfamilias" column is usually very relevant to my research interests.

Anyway, I get the Circuits email b/c I am very bad about reading the business section of the Times and I always miss any paper-based Circuits stories they print there. Here is one from today that caught my eye:

A Site to Bring Parents Up to Speed on Video Games
- Lisa Guernsey

It often seems that being clueless about video games goes hand in hand with being a parent. But a new site called WhatTheyPlay.com aims to give parents an inside scoop by going beyond the ratings and offering evaluations written by knowledgeable gamers — many of them parents. [...]


Cool idea ... hope parents check it out. I'm all for more participation, whatever the initial motivation.