Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Does too much nostalgia make us shy away from our parental responsibilities?

by Jason Fry

This WSJ article made me think a bit.  For the most part, I feel that our children's lives are so filled (or soon will be) with digital paraphernalia we don't need to consciously introduce or facilitate use of technology -- especially not at a very young age.  

However, is that perspective guided by a desire to replicate my own (relatively tech-free, except TV) childhood?   

I can't help but feel that this author has it 99% right, but the conclusion (or rather his dilemma) is misstated in some way.   I do think we wax nostalgic for our childhoods (as fueled by refined sugar and Love American Style as mine certainly was) and want to instill a bit of that innocence in our sophisticated kids.   

But how much credit (or blame) can we really take for what our kids will take away from their early childhood experiences?   I think we can create a positive environment, make choices & decisions based on our values, but also let our children's knowledge develop on its own trajectory.   Maybe.  I waiver on this as much as the next control freak.    

Maybe today's teens will cordon off a part of their brains all on their own - and protect their memories of childhood from all the jump cuts, violent images, and blurry MySpace pictures they were exposed to during this era.   My own selective memory of middle and high school indicate this may be possible.